Story Behind the Mural
The Apollos Camp and Bennet Humiston Trust was established in 1920 after the death of Mrs. Harriet Humiston. Mrs. Humiston's stipulations were that the money from the trust be used to benefit all of the residents of Pontiac, and that none of it be spent for religious or sectarian purposes. The trust was first used to build the Camp-Humiston Pool in Chautauqua Park. The funds have since been used for various other projects in Pontiac including: Humiston Woods Nature Center, Riverside Park, Kiwanis-Humiston Park and many others.
The mural was designed by Gary Anderson, a sign painter from Bloomington, Indiana.