Historic Homes

Early Pontiac Homes


The City of Pontiac was founded in 1837. The earliest homes were, of course, simple one or two story log cabins or primitive wood frame homes. All of those early structures have since been replaced. However, there are a number of historic homes still standing in Pontiac, many built before the turn of the 20th Century. Three of those homes are currently restored or in the restoration process under the aegis of the Livingston County Historical Society. Two of these homes are open to the public by appointment or on specified days during the year. Contact the Pontiac Tourism Office for additional information - (815) 844-5847.
 

The Jones House - 1857

The Jones House is the oldest remaining brick home in the city. The home has recently been restored and is open to the public by appointment or on special occasions

 The Jones House at 314 East Madison Street
 

The Strevell House - Circa 1850

Among the many connections Pontiac has to Abraham Lincoln, one of the most interesting revolves around Lincoln's friendship with local attorney, Jason W. Strevell.

 The Strevell House painted a deep red.
 

The Yost House - 1898

The Catherine V. Yost Museum is open to the public on special days or by appointment.  The house was built in 1898 and was home to the same family for nearly 100 years.  The house is remarkable for its nearly unchanged interior decorations.

 The white-painted exterior of the Yost House.

Historic Homes Located Throughout the City 


In addition to these 3 homes, there are a number of historic and architecturally significant private residences in the City of Pontiac. Most of these homes are located in the neighborhoods surrounding the downtown district. We encourage you to stroll the streets of Pontiac to see the exteriors of these historic homes.  Please respect the privacy of the owners.